Category: Mediterranean Diet, Monastic Recipes of Mount Athos.
Preparation time: 30min. + 24h soak in the water
- We put the chickpeas in water to swell from the previous day.
- The other day, we drain the chickpeas well and mash them in the blender.
- Then we finely chop all the other ingredients with a knife (and not in the blender), we toss them into the chickpeas and we mix well.
- We let the mixture stay for 2-3 hours in the fridge.
- In a deep frying pan we pour a lot of olive oil and we put it over medium heat.
- Shape into small balls with the mixture, we roll them in flour and we fry until they golden.
- You can serve the dish with some lemon slices and tahini sauce.
The traditional recipe suggests letting the chickpeas swell in water and not boil them. If you boil them, as other recipes suggest, this will result in your balls absorbing lots of oil while you fry them.