**: Stuffed chicken with Metaxa 3* $ , orange and honey sauce, is from my new book to be released in February 2016 entitled:
"Mediterranean Diet Recipes with Olive Oil"
Category: Mediterranean Diet, Athens Recipe.
Preparation time: 3h
- 1 Chicken about 2kg
- 3 + 2 tbsp honey
- 2 oranges, from which we get the oblong their zest (in julienne with special grinder) and their juice
- 50 + 50 ml ^eleon^ extra virgin olive oil $
- 100 ml METAXA 3 * $
- ½ cup chicken broth (if you use cube put less than half in hot water)
- 3kg cut quartered potatoes, relatively thin
- salt and pepper
For the filling
- ½ leek cut into rings
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup. bulgur
- 2 tbsp black currant
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 orange into slicescut in half
- 1 tbsp ^eleon^ extra virgin olive oil $
Prepare the sauce:
- In a pan mix the hot chicken broth 3 tablespoons honey and stir to melt. Add the orange juice, METAXA 3* $ and 50 ml olive oil.
- Preheat the oven to 160 C °.
Prepare the filling:
- In skillet and medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil and once warmed up, sauté the leeks, the onions and pine nuts for 5 minutes, stirring, until they begin to brown the pine nuts.
- Add the bulgur, raisins and 150 ml from the sauce you prepared. Bake for 5 minutes, add the chopped orange slices, salt, pepper and a pinch from the orange zest. Sauté 2-3 minutes more, stirring and your filling is ready.
Prepare the chicken:
- Place the chicken in a large oven pan and put first in the abdominal cavity after the filling neck, closing either toothpicks or by sewing (specific string and bodkin). Add around the potatoes.
- Pour over chicken and potatoes all the sauce, 50 ml olive oil, salt and pepper (especially on the potatoes) and spread only over the chicken the remaining 2 tbsp honey.
- Sprinkle with orange zest and let the chicken to the pan with the breast upwards.
Put the food in the preheated oven of 160C ° for 1 hour. Remove the chicken from the oven and raising the temperature to 180C ° with air.
Using cooking syringe, suck juice from the pan and fortify breasts and thighs to 5-6 points for extra flavor and moisture to the meat.
... and bake for another 1 hour.
Cut the chicken into 6 servings at the table and serve with 5-6 potatoes, 2 tbsp of stuffing and a little sauce on top. Perfectly accompanied by a nice pink or light red wine.
A special thank to my lovely wife Tonia for her valuable help at this recipe.