Category: Mediterranean Diet, South Italy, Catania Recipe.
Preparation time: 1h 30min + 1h bitterness eggplant
Level: Easy - medium
Level: Easy - medium
We will need a rectangular pan dimensions 20x30 cm.
For the dough:
- 300 g flour for all purpose
- 4 tbsp ^eleon^ extra virgin olive oil $
- 1 pinch salt
- 120 ml lukewarm water
For the filling:
- 4 flasks eggplant relatively large
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
- 80g grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tbsp grated sharp toast
- plenty of ^eleon^ extra virgin olive oil $
- We start with the eggplant. Wash, dry them, cut the top and bottom and both sides. The rest of the slice thickness of about 1 cm .. Place them in a strainer, salt them and leave them for about an hour, to get the bitterness.
- Make the dough. In a large bowl, stir all ingredients together. Knead until you achieve a homogeneous, elastic dough done quickly and easily. The wrap to wrap and let it rest.
- Rinse the eggplant and pat dry one by one with a cloth. The flour slightly. In a pan pour plenty of oil (the aubergines know what sinks are) and let it burn well. Fry eggplants as you remove it from the pan is good to put them on absorbent paper. We renew the oil in a pan and eggplant will absorb then, so it is advisable to have the bottle somewhere near.
- After we finish with the eggplant preheat the oven to 180 C degrees.
- Grease the pan to use.
- Beat the eggs with the milk well.
- Roll out the dough into a sheet as are the dimensions of the pan plus 5 cm margin, ie 25x35 cm. Place the sheet in the pan.
- Spread a first layer of eggplant. Sprinkle with half the Parmesan, half the thyme and 1/3 of the beaten eggs. Repeat a layer of eggplant, the remaining cheese and thyme, plus another 1/3 of the beaten eggs. Ends with a third and last layer eggplants, the last 1/3 of the eggs. We close around the sheet left over. The cake for the most part will be open. There are open sprinkle with grated breadcrumbs. Bake for 50 minutes to one hour. If you quickly get color on top, cover with a sheet of aluminum foil.