Category: Mediterranean Diet, South Italy, Palermo Recipe.
Preparation time: 1h + 1h bitterness eggplant
- 3-4 medium sized eggplant (about 1 kg)
- at least a dozen black Kalamata olives
- 2 stalks celery
- 3 tbsp capers
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1/2 cup of tea balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup of tea ^eleon^ extra virgin olive oil $
- freshly ground black pepper
for tomato sause
1 cup tomato sauce (2 large ripe tomatoes, 1 clove garlic and 1-2 basil leaves will do the job)
2-3 large hard-boiled eggs.
1. Clean the eggplants. Cut the top and bottom and very little of the two sides. Cut into slices 0.5 cm. Salted them, put them in a colander and let them bitterness for an hour.
As bitterness the aubergines prepare the sauce:
- Wash and rub tomatoes grater.
- Finely chop the basil leaves.
- Peel and cut in half the garlic cloves.
- In a thick-bottomed pan, heat enough olive oil. Add the garlic and 1/3 of the basil leaves. Sauté until they begin to darken cloves but not to tan.
- Remove them.
- Pour the tomato season to taste, add another 1/3 of the basil and turn down the heat a little leaves. Allow the sauce to simmer until all drink fluids.
- Add the remaining basil, some more pepper
2. Remove pits from olives and cut them in two. Clean the celery and cut it into small pieces. Put in a casserole celery, olives and capers with balsamic vinegar and let it simmer until it is half vinegar in quantity.
3. Rinse the eggplant, the wipe and cut into cubes. In a pan heat olive oil and fry them until get golden brown color.
4 .The spread on absorbent paper. It may take two batches, do not put them all together. In the same pan sauté the onion in left olive oil.
5. Once browned onion, add the tomato sauce. Stir. Add the celery, olives and capers in vinegar which is left. Stir.
6. Add the eggplant and freshly ground black pepper, stir one last time and leave on very low heat for 10 minutes more.
Let the Caponata to room temperature, put it on a platter, cover with chopped eggs and serve.