Category: Mediterranean Diet, Cretan Recipe.Serves: 35 - 40 pieces
Preparation time: 45min + 1-2hr rise the dough
- Put the flour in a big bowl, add some water, the egg, milk and tsikoudia and knead until the dough becomes hard. Let it rise for 1-2 hours.
- Then roll out a very thin pastry sheet, cut it in stripes (2-4 cm), fold it in various shapes and fry the xerotigana in sizzling oil *.
- See that their colour turns golden and not brown. When they are ready, take them out of the pan and strain them.
Then prepare the syrup (for 10-15 xerotigana) as follows:
- Mix the water and sugar in a saucepan stirring continuously, and let it boil for 10-15 minutes until the syrup becomes thick.
- Remove from the fire, add the honey and continue stirring in order for the syrup not to stick.
- Then dip the xerotigana in it one by one, soak them for 1-2 minutes, take them out, put them in a large flat dish and sprinkle with some sugar, cinnamon and some burnt sesame, if you want.
*Use plenty of olive oil during frying because the xerotigana must be floating in it.
Luxury Olive Oil family co.