Category: Mediterranean Diet, Cretan Recipe.
Serves: 6 to 8Preparation time: 1hr 30min
Warning: I have a friend who at first refused to eat this dish because of its color, a wild, alarming fuschia. He complained that it did not look "natural." Since then he has been persuaded. The taste, he said, won him over.
This is generally served at room temperature or chilled.
- 500g beetroots
- 250g Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons ^eleon^ - Extra virgin olive oil $
- 1 heaped tablespoon coarsely chopped walnuts
- Scrub and wash beetroots thouroughly under running water.
- Put into pan with enough water to cover them and boil in medium heat for 30 minutes or until they are tender.
- Rinse under cold water, peel (now the skin comes out easily with just a little squeeze of your fingers). Cut into slices, cubes, whatever you like.
- Prepare yoghurt: in a bowl blend yoghurt, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper and half the olive oil. Add the beetroots and the chopped walnuts in the yoghurt mix, reserving a few pieces of beetroot for garnishing.
- Place salad in bowl. Decorate it with pieces of beetroot and walnut and drizzle with the rest of the extra virgin olive oil.
Approximate Nutritional Information:
- 136 calories per serving
- 67 calories from fat
- total fat: 7.5g
- saturated fat 1.3g
- cholesterol 2mg
- sodium 103mg
- total carbohydrates 14.5g
- dietary fiber: 2.2g
- sugars 11.3g
- protein 3.6g